Desmadre: Fresh Latino Perspectives in America

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Desmadre: Fresh Latino Perspectives in America
May 14 – June 6, 2009
Vermillion Gallery and Desmadre Arte

Rob's older sister was ending her battle with cancer as he painted these. She had passed when the show opened.

Watch a video clip of the opening here. Rob's paintings come into view around 00:24.


Interview with Robert Santiago

Where are you from?
Santa Barbara California

What is your heritage?
I am Chumash Yaki and Apache Indian on my fathers side, and Spanish on my mothers side.

What is the medium that you most commonly work in?
It has been acrylic and found materials.

What tends to inspire you and your work?
Time is upon me in this life and the work I create are my survivors. They have the possibility to live longer than I will, say more and express the time that a was given here.

If it was not for art I would be………..?
Lost

Do you have any artistic relatives? if so what do they do?
My father is involved in Indian culture so a lot of crafts, my sister Nicole is a writer, my other sister Yvette is a great doodler, and her kids are following in her footsteps. My wife is one of the most rare, her art is connected to a greater consequence than your common artist.


Is music part of your creative process?
Yes

What do you listen to most?
People

What food most reminds you of home?
chorizo and eggs, bacon, tortillas, coffee, gossip.

When you are with family do speak mostly in english or espanol?
English, only a few people in my family are fluent in Spanish.

What do you think could help raise the profile of young Latino artists here in America?
Step out of your comfort zone and take a part in subjects that have nothing to do with you, learn and express your feelings ideas emotions whatever. If even one person understands the work than your on your way.

Is there a connection between Latino artists here in the US and those throughout the hemisphere?
Rice and beans, hot sauce.

Anybody you would like to thank or acknowledge?
My father for ruining my life and my mother for trying to make it better. I would like to thank all those who did it wrong so I didn’t have to, and minha esposa bonita she is my sunshine that breaks through this everlasting rain shadow.

0 comments:

 

WEBBY WEBBY

Search This Blog

Photobucket